Open by appointment only
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
12:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Special Collections and Archives collects, preserves, and provides access to rare books, manuscripts, college archives, and other primary source materials with enduring historical value. We are located in room L014 in the Reed College Library. Use the staircase D or elevator from the library lobby to reach us in the basement on Lower Level 2.
On September 8th, 2020, Special Collections and Archives will begin offering limited access to the Reed students, staff, and faculty. Special Collections and Archives staff are committed to making resources available while ensuring the safety of patrons and staff. To this end, we have established new procedures for viewing and handling materials.
We expect that guidelines for archives and special collections may change during the course of the semester as government agencies and the college issue additional directives. All services are contingent upon the availability of staffing and the library being open.
Scheduling your Visit
- For the safety of our staff and patrons, no more than 4 patrons will be allowed in the reading room at a time, and patrons and staff will be required to wear masks/cloth face coverings at all times.
- Appointments will be required and must be requested, along with materials, by emailing email@example.com. Appointments must be made with at least 2 business days in advance.
- Do not come to the library if you have not had a confirmation email from us. If you are not feeling well, please respect everyone’s safety and email our staff to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
- Staff will email you to confirm your appointment date/time and materials. We will also ask you to confirm you are feeling well, and are not exhibiting any symptoms associated with COVID-19.
For your safety and that of others
- When scheduling an appointment and during your visit, please keep staff informed if you have a fever or other signs of illness.
- Reed College requires that masks/face coverings be worn on campus and throughout all buildings at all times. If you are not wearing a mask/face covering, entry will be denied.
- All staff, and patrons are required to use hand sanitizers posted at the entrance of Special Collections and Archives. Soap and water options will also be required and available. If you have used hand sanitizer, please thoroughly dry your hands so damaging residue is not tran
- All staff and researchers are required to maintain a safe social distance of 6 feet throughout the archive.
- Shared surfaces are disinfected after each patron or at the beginning of each shift and the end of each shift.
- Materials will not be disinfected but will be quarantined for 72 hours after usage. Please check that the items you are requesting are not in quarantine.
- While in the reading room, you will have access to one box or up to 3 volumes on your table at one time. Let staff know when you are finished, and they will remove the box/book(s) and set up any additional material you have requested.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 503-777-7782.