As of fall 2016, the library moved to a new off campus proxy to enable Reed faculty, staff, and students to access subscription e-resources the library subscribes to from off campus, which works by adding a special prefix to the URL.
At Reed, this prefix is http://proxy.library.reed.edu/login?url=
Note: the above prepend is only necessary for accessing subscription resources.
What do I need to do?
The resources in the library catalog and on the library databases page are already set up. If you go through these pages to access resources, you will be prompted for your Reed username and password when accessing subscription content.
What if I have an article link that does not have the proxy prefix added?
An alternative to adding the prefix by hand is to use the EZProxy bookmarklet tool. Add the bookmarklet to your bookmarks toolbar and then click on the bookmark button when you are accessing a URL from off-campus. This will allow you to authenticate to access the article.
Right-click or drag the proxy bookmarklet to your toolbar:
To make sure we have access to the article you need, search for the article title in the library catalog in the Reed+Summit+Articles scope.
Can I still use the old proxy?
Yes and no, you can still use the automatic proxy for most resources, but the manual proxy no longer works.
Tips for using the new proxy:
- Update your browser bookmarks to the new URLs found in the catalog
- Go through the library website and catalog to access resources
- Is supported by all browsers
- Requires cookies to be enabled
- Requires that security firewalls are set to allow cookies
- Requires pop-up blockers to be disabled
- Please contact the Library if you encounter any problems